Thursday, May 28, 2015

Galveston Adventure

OK, Saturday May 9, I went to Galveston to pick up my daughter and niece, who had been on a cruise to the Yucatan. They told me the disembarkation would be at 8:30AM. There were several doubts in my mind even at the time I was told this would be the time to pick them up:

  • there were over 2,000 people on the ship; getting all of them off would take a long, long time
  • it was hard to believe that they would shove people off the ship without breakfast etc.


But, I assumed (more fool me) that they knew what they were talking about. I headed off to Galveston around 8AM. I was thankful it was early because traffic headed to Galveston Island on Saturday is hellish in the extreme, and it only gets worse as the day wears on.

I drove the 20 minutes to I-45, the freeway to Galveston, and then had to pull over because I got a text from my daughter saying their disembarkation time would be 11:30. She advised me to turn around. Instead I drove down to Galveston anyway, to avoid the bumper-to-bumper traffic I knew would happen shortly.



I drove around the island, which is quite picturesque, and took some short video clips of the surf on the seawall. It was very breezy and pleasant. I also bought a windsock at a kite emporium.

By the time I got back to the cruise ship terminal it was after 11, so I got in line, thinking it could take  an hour or more just to get up to the curb where I would pick them up. It was a very slow trip, but they had not made it out of the ship. They sent me a text saying they had not even gotten to customs yet. I was informed I could not park and wait for them, because, like at the airport, security does not allow people to wait, so I had to drive around and kill time until I heard from them.

There was a LOT going on that day in Galveston; another cruise ship was loading at the same time theirs was unloading; there was a festival on one of the piers, which was belching out dopey pedestrians by the hundreds. All this made driving pretty crazy and slow. On top of that there were the usual beachgoers. There is only parking for a fee, which is frustrating.

When they were liberated from the ship, we drove home; I swore I would never do this again (at least never on a Saturday!).

I had a good time in spite of being frustrated and irritated by the situations I described. What can I say? I was impatient and expected to be home around midday.

No comments:

Post a Comment